The Israeli media is openly questioning whether their government exercised the "Hannibal Directive" -- a controversial IDF doctrine that stipulates using maximum force to prevent kidnappings "by all means, even at the price of striking and harming our own" -- as it's now being admitted by the Israeli army that "immense" amounts of friendly fire took place on Oct 7.
If Israel Used a Controversial Procedure Against Its Citizens, We Need to Talk About It Now
Did Israel implement the so-called Hannibal Directive – which allows the military to endanger a soldier to prevent them from being kidnapped – at the hostage-taking incident in Be'eri on October 7?
by Noa Limone | Dec 13, 2023 5:37 pm IST
The accounts of the only two survivors of the hostage-taking incident in Be'eri on October 7 give the impression that the Israel Defense Forces employed the so-called Hannibal Directive with the people being held hostage by Hamas inside one of the houses on the kibbutz. When it is implemented, the Hannibal Directive allows the military to endanger a soldier to prevent them from being kidnapped.
According to a report on Channel 12 News over the weekend about the Be'eri hostage situation, after several hours of firefights between Israeli troops and Hamas terrorists, which saw the use of light anti-tank weapons, a terrorist exited the building with hostage Yasmin Porat and released her. She said she was then questioned by Police Special Anti-Terror and told them that there were about 40 terrorists and 14 civilian hostages in the house.
Eventually, Brig. Gen. Barak Hiram arrived to take command of the area. When one of the soldiers remarked about the fighting, "Barak, it's a disgrace," he replied, "I know." Afterward, a tank positioned near the house fired two shells – one at the ground, the other at the roof. Of the 14 hostages still inside, two of them children, only Hadas Dagan survived. Porat's first public account of the incident appeared two days later and was later verified by Dagan.
Why are these two accounts, which appear to say that our forces rained tank shells and other fire on a house where Israeli civilians were being held hostages, not seen as earth-shattering?
[...] We must determine exactly what happened that day. Was there a decision to eliminate the terrorists even if there was a significant risk that the hostages would also be killed? Was the Hannibal Directive applied to civilians?
An investigation and public debate need to happen now, no matter how difficult they are. We cannot wait for the end of the war – not when 137 hostages remain captive in Gaza, the military is fighting with all its might, and there is no hostage deal on the horizon.
Israel admits to "immense" amount of "friendly fire" on 7 October
by Asa Winstanley | 12 December 2023
Drone footage released by the Israeli military last month shows the extent of the destruction of the cars fleeing the Supernova rave on 7 October, likely inflicted by Israeli drones and helicopters. (RT/Israeli military)
Israel's army on Tuesday admitted that an "immense and complex quantity" of what it calls "friendly fire" incidents took place on 7 October.
The key declaration was buried in the penultimate paragraph of an article by Yoav Zitun, the military correspondent of Israeli outlet Ynet.
It is the first known official army admission that a significant number of the hundreds of Israelis who died on 7 October were killed by Israel itself, and not by Hamas or other Palestinian resistance factions.
An Israeli police source last month appeared to admit that some of the Israelis at the Supernova rave taking place near Gaza that day were hit by Israeli helicopters. A second police source later partially walked back the admission.
Citing new data released by the Israeli military, Zeitun wrote that: "Casualties fell as a result of friendly fire on October 7, but the IDF [Israeli military] believes that ... it would not be morally sound to investigate" them.
He reported that this was "due to the immense and complex quantity of them that took place in the kibbutzim and southern Israeli communities."
The Ynet article also reported that "at least" one fifth of the Israeli army deaths in Gaza since the ground invasion began were also due to "friendly fire" incidents.
If there was an average of 3 people in each of the 150 or so cars they destroyed, that's 450 people right there. Add all the Israelis killed by IDF shelling in the Kibbutzim and it's not out of the question that the majority -- perhaps the overwhelming majority -- of the 859 Israeli non-soldiers/civilians killed on Oct 7 were killed by IDF forces.
The Electronic Intifada continues:
In one of the most recent revelations [that Israel killed its own people], an Israeli air force colonel admitted to a Hebrew podcast that they blew up Israeli homes in the settlements but insisted they never did so "without permission."
Watch this video of an Israeli air force colonel admitting that his fighters blew up Israeli homes on 7 October.
Nof Erez even says they may have intentionally killed Israelis to stop them being captured: a "mass Hannibal."
Colonel Nof Erez also said that 7 October was a "mass Hannibal" event – a reference to a controversial Israeli military doctrine.
Named after an ancient Carthaginian general who poisoned himself rather than be captured alive, the Hannibal Directive allows Israeli forces to take any means necessary to stop Israelis being captured alive – even at the cost of killing the captives.