Bond 'Tube shooting plot' denied

BBC
Feb. 17, 2006

Producers of the latest James Bond film have rejected reports the plot mirrors the death of a Brazilian man shot dead after being mistaken for a terrorist.

Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, was killed by police at Stockwell Tube station in south London after the 7 July bombings.

His family expressed "shock" at reports in newspapers that a leaked script said Bond kills an unarmed bomb suspect.

But the producers denied any similarities in Casino Royale to Mr Menezes' death.

'Innocent people'

"We categorically deny reports that the script of Casino Royale bears any resemblance to the tragic death of the innocent Brazilian citizen Mr Jean Charles de Menezes," said Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

"In the script of Casino Royale James Bond does not kill any innocent people."

The reports about the leaked storyline claimed Bond - played by Daniel Craig - kills an unarmed bomb suspect, only to find it was the wrong man.

Bond reportedly tries to clear his name after CCTV footage of the death is broadcast worldwide.

Speaking after the reports were published, Asad Rehman, a spokesman for the Menezes family, said the family was deeply concerned about the issue being "glamorised".

They are to be briefed on the report into his death, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has said.

But IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick insisted last week that the full report could not be shown to them because it may jeopardise potential criminal proceedings.













All original InformationLiberation articles CC 4.0



About - Privacy Policy