Melee cancels local Xbox saleCNNNov. 24, 2005 |
Trump Welcomes 'The Highly Respected' Alan Dershowitz Into The GOP, Shills His New Book
Ben Shapiro: Trump Should 'Just Blow Up Kharg Island'
House Passes NDAA With Section 219 Aimed at 'Merging' U.S. and Israeli Militaries
Netanyahu Confirms Plan to 'Merge' U.S. and Israeli Militaries
Sen. Graham Worked With Israeli Officials to Push GOP Senators to Pass Aid Package, Amb. Reveals
![]() ELKTON, Maryland (AP) -- A melee erupted among a crowd of shoppers in the rush for the new Xbox 360 video game console at a Wal-Mart Supercenter in northeast Maryland. It took 10 police officers to restore order. A crowd of about 300 people waited as much as 12 hours for the game, considered a must-have item this holiday season, to go on sale at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. But an announcement from a store manager that the Xboxes would be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, instead of using a number system devised by customers, triggered the mayhem. "That's when all hell broke loose," said Ben DiSabatino IV, a 23-year-old Bear, Delaware, resident, who had been waiting in line since 4 p.m. Some customers were knocked down and trampled, though there were no serious injuries, said Elkton Police Lt. Lawrence Waldridge. Wal-Mart canceled the sale and police ordered everyone to leave. |