Questions after raid pair releaseBBCJun. 10, 2006 |
Israel Lobby Ousts Thomas Massie From Congress in Most Expensive Primary Race in History
Ben Shapiro: The Israel Lobby Didn't Target Massie Because Of His Opposition to Israel
Netanyahu Working to Cement U.S. Aid to Israel Through 'Partnership'
Thomas Massie vs. The Israel Lobby
DOJ Indicts Jewish Group for 'Large-Scale, Decade-Long Insider Trading Scheme'
![]() Questions are being asked about the way police and intelligence services handled an anti-terror raid in east London after the release of two men. Brothers Abul Koyair, 20, and Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 23, who was shot in the raid, were freed without charge on Friday evening. Both men had denied allegations of involvement in terrorism. Met Police Authority member Murad Qureshi said mistakes were made, but police have defended the raid. Officers are continuing their search for chemical materials elsewhere after finding nothing at the house in Lansdown Road, Forest Gate, since the raid on 2 June. 'Learn from mistakes' The men, who had been held under the Terrorism Act 2000 and questioned on suspicion of terrorism involvement, were released shortly before 2030 BST on Friday. Mr Qureshi, speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, said: "I think that there were a series of mistakes, which I think that the Met should learn from and they cover everything from the collecting of intelligence and how you collaborate that to the nature of the surveillance of suspects, through to how the suspects are actually dealt with." Of particular concern, he said was "how we find ourselves with one of the brothers shot and quite a lot of the slander, quite honestly, which has been out in the press". A Scotland Yard spokesman said after the release, that intelligence received by police "continues to be developed" and that the Met Police "will continue to exhaust all lines of inquiry". Announcing the men's release the spokesman said: "We appreciate the police operation has caused inconvenience and disruption to the occupants of the house. "We will be contacting the owners to make appropriate arrangements for the property to be handed back to them. BBC correspondent Andy Tighe said sources believe the original intelligence was credible and police are continuing their hunt for "some sort of chemical, home-made device". |