Austrian Economics: Understand Economics, Understand the World

Article posted Jan 21 2010, 3:55 PM Category: Tyranny/Police State Source: This is London Print

Police use dogs and helicopter to swoop on pacifist student

Justin Davenport and Ted Hynds

A pacifist is suing police for malicious arrest after he was held under anti-terror laws for staging a protest outside an Army base.

Politics student Jeremy Moulton, 19, has accused police of “overkill” after his home was raided by officers and dogs while a helicopter hovered overhead. He was arrested and cautioned after standing outside an Army cadet training base in Staines with a banner reading: “Stop training murderers”.

Officers then raided his home and the student was kept in cells overnight before he agreed to a caution for breach of the peace. But he says he did not understand that doing so would give him a criminal record.

Speaking at his parents' home in Staines, Mr Moulton said: “I only accepted the caution because I was frightened. I didn't feel I had breached the peace. The police response had been out of all proportion. They treated me like an al Qaeda suspect, questioned me for hours and took away my computer and student books.

“It must have cost tens of thousands of pounds. When the duty solicitor advised me to accept a caution I jumped at the chance to get out of there. I didn't realise the serious consequences of doing that. Nobody told me I would have a criminal record.

“I had only made a placard after I discovered the cadets were taught to shoot by firing at human-shaped targets. I have been against war all my life and I wanted to make my opinion heard.”

Hours after leaving the placard outside the base in June 2008, police swooped on his home, including armed officers, Mr Moulton claims. But he added: “About four or five armed officers were all set to come into the house until my mum persuaded them not to. She was worried about my young sister who was terrified. My parents, who are prominent in our local church, were also frightened.”

Mr Moulton, a student at Hull University, said he was taking action because he was refused an internship at the House of Commons and was barred from entering the US because of his criminal record. “That's when I became aware of the full powers of the State. It was a terrifying experience,” he said.

His lawyer, Alex Tribick, said: “There is still a basic right to freedom of speech in this country and Jeremy has been the victim of heavy-handed policing.”

A Surrey Police spokeswoman said they were contacted by a member of the public who had seen him measuring the Army cadet gates and acting suspiciously. She said officers could not find him and a helicopter was deployed.

“An 18-year-old was arrested, interviewed, and cautioned for a public order offence. Suspects are made fully aware that accepting a caution constitutes an admission of guilt. Surrey Police is satisfied this offender was dealt with correctly,” the spokeswoman said.

- Handcuffs, Leg Shackles and Tasers: The New Face of Punishment in the Public Schools
- Man Attacked by Two Police Officers While Standing in Hallway
- Games Road Pirates Play
- Police Want To Ban the Popular Cop-Tracking GPS App, WAZE
- Man Faces Jail After Not Paying Child Support For a Child He's Proven is Not His
- The TSA Wants To Read Your Facebook Posts And Check Out Your Purchases Before It Will Approve You For PreCheck
- Government Pays Up To Settle With Traveler Who Was Detained By TSA For Trying To Learn Arabic
- Sheriff's Deputy Enjoys Paid Vacation While Criminal DUI Case Against Him Proceeds

1stcleanharry

Posted: Jan 22 2010, 10:13 AM

Isn't freedom great?

HH
dogismyth

Posted: Jan 22 2010, 11:53 PM

6525 yeah...its great alright. I think a time will come Harry when we'll have a chance to turn the tables on all these bastards that treat us like dogs.

Posted: Jan 23 2010, 12:31 AM

24118 WTF we can't even hold up signs anymore?! jesus this is a pathetic dictatorship. I mean, if they're going to fuck us the least they could do is have the courtesy of telling us to bend over.

Posted: Jan 25 2010, 12:00 PM

7522 Can't the police even realize what they're doing is WRONG?

I mean how ignorant do you have to be to open up to the situation and be like, "Wow, look at what I'm doing? Is this really the right thing?"

I mean if you're going to let people work in the government as police or soldiers, they should at least KNOW the constitution so none of this cold hearted shit happens. Atleast IMO.
1stcleanharry

Posted: Jan 29 2010, 1:46 PM

Don't worry chaps,
When the police have done away with us all, it will be their turn next.
I would have prefered it the other way around but "GOD" does move in mysterious ways, doesn't he?

HH

One in Three Americans Believe Police 'Routinely Lie': Survey - 01/17Video: Americans Want Obama to Repeal the Bill of Rights - 01/26Games Road Pirates Play - 01/26Man Attacked by Two Police Officers While Standing in Hallway - 01/26Police Want To Ban the Popular Cop-Tracking GPS App, WAZE - 01/26Handcuffs, Leg Shackles and Tasers: The New Face of Punishment in the Public Schools - 01/27Man Faces Jail After Not Paying Child Support For a Child He's Proven is Not His - 01/26The TSA Wants To Read Your Facebook Posts And Check Out Your Purchases Before It Will Approve You For PreCheck - 01/26

Man Follows Speeding Cop, Finds Out He Was Speeding To Buy PeanutsMission Creeps: Homeland Security Agents Confiscate Women's Panties For 'Copyright Infringement'Cop Shoots Couple's Dog, Threatens Jail For Trying To Save Dog's LifeSWAT Team Shoots Teen Girl & Her Dog During Pot Raid On Wrong HomeDurham, NC Cop Testifies Faking 911 Calls To Enter Homes Is "Official Policy"Indiana Sheriff Says US A "War Zone" To Justify New MRAP Military VehicleTampa Cops Surveil Pot Dealer, Catch Him Selling Pot, Raid His Home & Kill Him"You Just Shot An Unarmed Man!": Witness Says Police Shot His Friend With His Hands Up