California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Bear ArmsBy Michael B. Marois & James Nash
Wearing bulletproof vests and carrying 40-caliber Glock pistols, nine California Justice Department agents assembled outside a ranch-style house in a suburb east of Los Angeles. They were looking for a gun owner who’d recently spent two days in a mental hospital.
They knocked on the door and asked to come in. About 45 minutes later, they came away peacefully with three firearms.
California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris. Almost 20,000 gun owners in the state are prohibited from possessing firearms, including convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mental unstable.
“What do we do about the guns that are already in the hands of persons who, by law, are considered too dangerous to possess them?” Harris said in a letter to Vice President Joe Biden after a Connecticut school shooting in December left 26 dead. She recommended that Biden, heading a White House review of gun policy, consider California as a national model.
As many as 200,000 people nationwide may no longer be qualified to own firearms, according to Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis. Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.
“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program.
Latest Tyranny/Police State
- Native American Woman Dies in Jail, Begging for Help, Officers Told Her to "Quit Faking"
- Cop Caught on Video Throwing Food at Homeless Person, Treating Him Like a Zoo Animal
- Florida Cops Enter Family's Backyard and Shoot 8-Year-Old Daughter's Beloved Dog
- After 11-MONTH Investigation, La. Cops Working With DEA Bust Teens For A Few Grams Of Marijuana, MDMA
- Cop Caught on Private Dashcam Threatening to "Blow a Hole" in Driver's "F**king Head" During Stop
- Police Shut Down Benefit Concert Because of Hologram of 'Unacceptable Role Model'
- DEA's Confidential Informant Program Basically Being Run With No Oversight Whatsoever
- Obama Frees 46 People While Three-Quarters of all Prisoners are Locked Up for Victimless Crimes
FAIR USE NOTICE
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which in some cases has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available for the purposes of news reporting, education, research, comment, and criticism, which constitutes a 'fair use' of such copyrighted material in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the DMCA and other applicable intellectual property laws. It is our policy to remove material from public view that we believe in good faith to be copyrighted material that has been illegally copied and distributed by any of our members or users.