Asset Forfeiture Evidence of the Growing U.S. Police StateMichael S. Rozeff
As evidence of the growing U.S. police state, here are statistics on drug war asset seizures (in dollars) made by U.S. attorneys:
1990 451,870,952 +58.6%
1991 596,879,728 +32.1%
1992 325,786,450 -45.4%
1993 385,000,701 +18.2%
1994 418,224,247 +8.6%
1995 464,666,914 +11.1%
1996 377,527,900 -18.8%
1997 570,656,170 +51.2%
1998 280,808,572 -50.8%
1999 535,767,852 +90.8%
2000 312,676,413 -41.6%
2001(a) 199,043,103 -36.3%
2002 322,246,408 +61.9%
2003 342,862,000 +6.4%
2004 (b) 300,779,267 -12.3%
2005 313,866,115 +4.4%
2006 841,094,697 +168.0%
2007 1,323,094,697 +57.3%
2008 1,103,810,683 -16.6%
2009 1,129,381,466 +2.3%
2010 1,786,567,692 +58.2%
Growth is irregular but at a very high rate (over 9 percent continuously compounded a year).
a. In 2001, the Civil Asset Forfeiture Reform Act temporarily derailed growth.
b. In 2004, the introduction of a new system of tracking seizures temporarily derailed growth.
These asset seizures fund further growth of the police state. The same process is at work whenever any state expands its power and size. In earlier centuries, as monarchs extended taxes to peasants, they frequently revolted. The taxes aided the monarch in building up armed forces to quell revolts and collect taxes, that is, to institute a stronger state.
Latest Tyranny/Police State
- A Peace Officer Defies the "Blue Tribe": The Exile of Officer Cariol Horne
- For Punitive Populists, "Comply or Die" IS The "Law"
- Cop Stops Fellow Cop From Choking a Handcuffed Man, She Was Then Beaten and Fired
- Thieves Yell "Police" Before Invading Home, Shooting and Robbing Resident
- Cops Called For Wellness Check Beat Innocent Man, Pile On False Charges; Jury Exonerates, Twice
- Psychotic Vegas Cop Filmed Beating Man For Filming In Viral Video Queitly Hired By Another Dept.
- Ignorance Is No Excuse for Wrongdoing, Unless You're a Cop
- The Police Need Competition
FAIR USE NOTICE
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which in some cases has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available for the purposes of news reporting, education, research, comment, and criticism, which constitutes a 'fair use' of such copyrighted material in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the DMCA and other applicable intellectual property laws. It is our policy to remove material from public view that we believe in good faith to be copyrighted material that has been illegally copied and distributed by any of our members or users.