Article posted May 11 2012, 6:20 PM Category: Tyranny/Police State Source: William Norman Grigg Print

Beaumont, California Woman Blinded for 'Contempt of Cop'

by William Norman Grigg

Thanks to police officer Enoch Clark, Beaumont, California resident Monique Hernandez will never see her ten-year-old daughter again.

On February 21, Clark conducted a traffic stop involving Hernandez, who was suspected of drunk driving. When Clark attempted to handcuff her, Hernandez resisted. The officer responded by using a JPX device -- a weapon that uses a gunpowder charge to fire a stream of pepper spray at roughly 400 miles an hour.

The JPX weapon is designed for use at a distance of 6 to 15 feet, and training presentations depict it being deployed against aggressive, armed assailants. Promotional literature for the JPX weapon -- which isn't categorized as a firearm, because it doesn't fire a projectile -- boasts of "devastating stopping power." The payload of weaponized OC spray is propelled over the prescribed distance at less than three one-hundredths of a second, making it "too fast to avoid.... The effect is immediate; there is no chance to resist."

Clark's attorney insists that the officer's attack was justified in order "to gain compliance and in defense of his person." The JPX is designed to incapacitate an aggressor at a distance. Clark -- who was armed and wearing body armor -- fired it into Hernandez's temple from a distance of roughly ten inches, blowing apart her right eye and leaving the left with severe, irreparable damage.

Anyone who had undergone rudimentary training with the JPX would understand that the weapon should not be fired directly into the head or face of a non-violent suspect. Clark's actions suggest that his intention was not to gain "compliance," but rather to inflict summary street punishment for "contempt of cop."

Hernandez was taken to the hospital and never charged. Following an investigation by the Riverside County Sherriff's office, a grand jury indicted Clark on four felony charges: Assault under color of authority, assault with a less lethal weapon, use of force causing severe bodily injury, and assault with force likely to cause severe bodily injury. Free on $50,000 bail, Clark faces up to 20 years in prison. At present, the officer -- who is chairman of the local police union -- was placed on administrative leave, which is to say that he was given a paid vacation.

Interestingly, the law firm representing Clark in his criminal trial is involving in a union lawsuit against Beaumont Police Chief Frank Coe, claiming that the chief retaliated against critics on in the department by denying them promotions, thereby leaving several positions vacant.

Tragically, the blinding of Monique Hernandez arose out of a domestic disturbance that led to a 911 call. Two officers responded to the call, one of whom reportedly witnessed the assault while speaking with Hernandez's family.

_
William Norman Grigg [send him mail] publishes the Pro Libertate blog and hosts the Pro Libertate radio program.

- Overkill: Militarizing America
- 17-Yr-Old In Critical Condition After Window Malfunction Leads to Tasering During Traffic Stop
- The Black Hole of the American Injustice System
- Oklahoma Woman Killed Fleeing Police in Drug Bust
- Baltimore Detective, Intimidated For Testifying Against Police, Resigns
- Dallas Cop Watched as Woman's Kids Taken at Gunpoint, Ignored Her Cries for Help, Drove Off
- A Half Dozen Laser Sights On His Chest, Still This Guy Asserts His Rights
- Two Innocent Men Spend 30 Years In Prison For Murder They Did Not Commit

Posted: May 12 2012, 7:51 PM

98254 That last. Comment was dumb. Makes me question if all facts were presented here. You obviously have a raging bias.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:12 PM

98148 Welcome to the police state.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:17 PM

146115 Blow his eyes out of his head with the same exact device.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:20 PM

10838 Yea seriously. ALL cops are assholes.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:20 PM

5047 I hear about cops showing up to wrong houses and shooting dogs too. Fuck cops.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:29 PM

10838 This is the standard to hold armed assholes to: Seppuku (hari kari) is a form of ritual suicide. A samurai that for any reason dishonored himself or his lord was required to commit seppuku by thrusting the knife into his stomach, twisting it and making a slash across the stomach. While he did this an attendant or another samurai loped of his head with a sword.

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:36 PM

6693 All fucking news is subjective how stupid can you be to think all these years the cable and networks and large newspapers were trying so hard to be to be objective while being gradually being bought up by large companies in order to influence public opinion. must be freshman majors in journalism make when they grow up they can learn how it really works.
E4Epiphany

Posted: May 12 2012, 8:52 PM

9867 So, If I have this correct. This woman unjustly lost her sight to an idiot cop. That sucks, its not the end of the world... but it still sucks.

I have to say though all in all, its pretty good the way this is going to work out. She's going to sue someone and be taken care of financially. All of her medical bills are going to be paid for; a blessing this country. This cop is going to lose his job, an obviously much needed occurrence; oh, and be imprisoned for his crime against this woman. I feel the system in this case has worked... with the exception of the simple fact this written piece is inciting you people to 'fear' the police.

Yea, there are some really bad 'cops' and people who put on a badge and a uniform just as a job to pay their bills, and cops that don't believe in the system they 'protect and serve', but not all cops are bad.

This statement, "It should be remembered that any time someone calls for police "assistance," he's inviting the intervention of people who consider themselves licensed to inflict potentially lethal violence as punishment for non-compliance. It should be assumed that if the police get involved, somebody is going to be needlessly injured or killed." Is being used by someone to influence your thinking.

I am not saying that I am not guilty of severely disliking police officers. I have had bad experiences with them, that should never have happened; especially with the consideration that I have never really done anything all that criminal. (I feel the need to define this further to validate myself here in front of you all because I want you to hear what I am saying and for you to do that, for me; you must know me better) I have never been taken to jail for any crime ever, I have committed crimes; probably some I didn't even knew existed.

I've been pulled over for, “Not signaling my turn soon enough.”

scenario – I'm turning right at a green light at two a.m. And I did in fact signal, just apparently not 'soon' enough. Really?

^^I think this was an acceptable interaction with a police officer, now. At the time not so much, but I kinda wish that I could tell her thanks. Because, she was not pulling me over for, “Not signaling my turn soon enough.” She was pulling me over at 2a, because it was 2a , and she's paid to make sure that I can drive safely at 2a. Without fear of someone else, who can't be trusted to operate a vehicle.

I've been harassed with my family for a physical dispute I wasn't involved in, perpetrated by people I never met before and will probably never meet again. This story is actually rather long, so I'm not gonna tell it, just summarize.

My sister witnessed a fight between two girls in a very public place and offers her telling of what happened. While she is talking to the cops, the sister of the guy the cops hit with a taser gets jumped by a group of guys and the cops didn't do anything, until they got mad at me for yelling at them to come help her, and threatened me with arrest, let the guys all run away and interrogated the girl that just got beaten up.

^^I think this was NOT an acceptable interaction with a police officer. At the time I was angry about the whole thing and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth to the Minneapolis PD. I kinda wish that could tell them how shitty I think they did there, maybe on one of those little survey cards. From me they get a big fat zero. Because, they were not doing their jobs, they were not respectful of the power of their position. I'm not saying that they are bad people, I don't know either of them, just can't imagine someone capable of that, being too worthy of my respect; and its because they aren't. Just because police officer's get a badge and a uniform, doesn't make them deserving of your respect, but until they do something to show you they aren't worth respecting. Just assume they are one of the 'good' guys.

Next time you are speeding and an officer pulls you over for some thing mundane, maybe don't think how pissed you are, or how late you are going to be, just breathe and realize that they are at work doing their job. If you were really in an emergency situation they would most likely help you; even crooked 'cops' (I mean at least to maintain their cover). They are all still just people, like you and everyone else. The next person they pull over could shoot them, just because they are on some drug they aren't responsible or cognitive enough to use responsibly, if there is a responsible way to use it. They make shit pay like the other 99% of this country. Only old people and other cops thank them; or even like them... and, if they happen to make it as one of the honest officers that does believe, and work their job selflessly, they can be sure that no one will ever respect them for it because of shitty journalism like this.

Always totally, totally be outraged... but for the right reasons, and at the right people.

If you liked this... Listen to 'Rise – by the Flobots' ← If you like it.... listen to more ^_^
E4Epiphany

Posted: May 12 2012, 9:04 PM

9867 One other thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Norman_Grigg. This is the wiki on the guy that wrote this article.

Not much offense or anything, the guy was born in Idaho, and still lives there. How much can he know about police brutality.

Posted: May 12 2012, 9:45 PM

1086 That last comment is a frightening one. As someone who was a victim of domestic violence and had to resort to calling the police for my own safety, I also find it unfair and inaccurate, as the NY Police officers who responded were nothing but helpful and kind to me. Not all cops are abusive incompetent jackasses. Though this one certainly appears to be.

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:11 PM

9792 We need more journalist to get the word out about the pigs and the corrupt nature of this gang. Great article and great last line. Anybody on here defending this pigs actions, has no brain and should be castrated to prevent contaminating the rest of the world. I am sick of pigs and the corrupt government going around killing and maiming people. Who cares what this woman did unless she killed somebody or something like that, then she did not deserve to be blind for the rest of her life. I hate pigs. The tax payers are the ones who pay for pigs mistakes and I am sick of it. Make the pigs have to pay the lawsuits.

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:15 PM

10820 LOL BUTTS LOL

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:33 PM

71218 It should be remembered that any time someone calls for police "assistance," he's inviting the intervention of people who consider themselves licensed to inflict potentially lethal violence as punishment for non-compliance. It should be assumed that if the police get involved, somebody is going to be needlessly injured or killed.

Truer words never spoken! All you have to do is watch the news every once in a great while to get that impression...especially if you live in LA!

Posted: May 12 2012, 11:23 PM

161215 Wow, umm, this sounds like it was written by someone that gets a lot of speeding tickets. First, there is an ALARMING number of police officers killed in the line of duty by doing "routine" stops. We entrust these officers with our lives, and in turn they would like to go home to their own family's. If you resist a lawful order, IE you are drunk and you are ordered to be placed under arrest BECAUSE YOU ARE A THREAT TO THE PUBLIC, you must obey. These officers are not going to risk their lives, nor yours, because you are drunk idiot. They will use what ever force is needed to get you to comply. She is blinded, so sad. But she MAD A CHOICE to go drinking and driving. She should count her lucky stars that she is only just blinded and not in a casket. "I don't blame people for their mistakes, I only ask that they pay for them..." (great movie).

Posted: May 12 2012, 11:42 PM

17363 if one is as "innocent" as they say they are, then why resist the arrest? it will only complicate the process, and prove to them that you are hiding something. she resisted, and the cop put her down, DONT RESIST!

Posted: May 13 2012, 1:26 AM

72172 What a poorly written article. It's riddled with spelling/grammar errors and throws in useless information. No it's not interesting that there's an irrelevant lawsuit against the police chief. And suggesting that people shouldn't call the cops because someone will be injured every time you call them is absurd. This is at a 10th grade writing level at best.
ordinaryman

Posted: May 13 2012, 2:35 AM

9822 Well written article, pertinent and succinct Mr. Griggs. I would prefer to read stories on landscape design or the latest technological additions in transportation but such is the day and age we live in that these are an irrelevant distraction. The common public assumption that the officer was justified in blinding this woman in order to save herself or someone else from some future eminent yet unknown disaster is asinine and absurd. Among a society of imperfect beings it would behoove us to have peace officers who are able to recognize that sometimes people drink too much and sometimes argue with their spouses. I have even heard of this occurring in the ranks of those who drive the fast cars with flashy lights. If the man lacks the physical, emotional and psychological ability to do this job without hurting young women then he is in the wrong profession.
For those who frequently fall back on the position that the police are daily risking their lives to save everyone else's I will question that. A policeman who observes safe driving practices can engender respect and have a long, relatively safe career. Vocations that are truly dangerous are lumberjack, fisherman, truck driver, construction worker and so on. Policeman is way down the list.
Kevin

Posted: May 13 2012, 3:04 AM

17316 There is absolutely nothing wrong with that last sentence, I actually see it as a public service message.

What's wrong with vigilanteism? Just because the police union, jailer's union, lawyer's guild and prison industrial complex have run a propaganda campaign for years in order to have a monopoly on justice does not make them right. They have a responsibility to the public and they fail in their duty multiple times every single day.
Willie

Posted: May 13 2012, 7:42 AM

81165 Yes,this is seriously : for the few last years we saw many situations as this: if you open your eyes(SIC!!) then you find many more cases of that kind of nazi bullies in that so-friendly USA
And btw :al that ''sueing'' will be useless: your ''justice'' is lead by same kind of nazis,so no chance for common people

Posted: May 13 2012, 10:14 AM

67142 It's time for the revolution!