Analysis posted Nov 02 2010, 5:05 PM Category: Commentary Source: InformationLiberation Print

You Can't Complain If You *Did* Vote

Chris | InformationLiberation

One of the most common sayings among statists and government people is "you can't complain if you didn't vote."

The idea is, if you didn't try to influence the machinery of the state, then you have no right to complain about what the machinery of the state does to you against your will.

The idea is, of course, laughable on it's face.

As with all statist memes, the reality is the opposite. You can't complain if you *did* vote!

Why? Because, *gasp* you voted for it!

By taking part in the state's voting ritual, you affirm the legitimacy of the system, you tell the government how you want the state's machinery to run, you say how you want to force people to live.

By not voting, you are voicing your displeasure with the system, you are showing it has no validity in your life, you're showing it's irrelevant and the system is an illegitimate fraud.

The biggest constituency in America is not republicans or democrats, the biggest constituency is non-voters! Whether it be because they don't care, don't have the time, don't think their vote counts for jack squat, or think voting is inherently immoral because it involves telling strangers how to live, the non-voter is the largest voter! They're voting not to take part in the state's charade!

Certainly an argument could be made, "I don't want the state to rob from me etc., so therefor I try to minimize it's damages."

That's all fine and dandy, but for the average voter, I think it's likely they go in the booth with the intent of trying to tell other people how to live. Of course, they get the oppressive nanny state they ask for, and when it comes to burn them, all the sudden they start to complain. Not enough to actually question the system, just enough to go back next election and vote for some other clown who tells them everything they want to hear and talks to them like an idiot. While I would never actually say they "can't complain if they did vote," the fact of the matter is, if anyone has any less of a right to complain, it's voters, not non-voters. You don't grant someone the right to rule over you and then complain because they don't do everything you want, that they would act in their own best interests, and not yours, is to be expected. If you only did the same, we wouldn't be in this horrible mess.

I did not vote in this election out of principle, previously I never voted because I just didn't care, the reality is the same regardless. I do not grant the system any authority, nor do I grant the goon-squad government any legitimacy. The state is a gang of robbers and thieves writ large, they have absolutely no right to tell anyone else how to live, they have absolutely no right to expropriate their neighbors wealth, and they have absolutely no right to threaten their neighbors with guns if they don't comply with their arbitrary dictates. That a group of strangers voted for them to do it changes nothing.
___
Chris runs the website InformationLiberation.com. He doesn't believe in government by goon-squad and instead wishes to live in a free society. You can read more of his commentary here.

- The Index Card of Allowable Opinion
- Should Government Have the Power to Quarantine?
- Obama Appointee Supports Individual Rights
- Let the Market Contain Ebola
- The State as a Royal Scam
- Glenn Greenwald TED Talk: Why Privacy Matters
- "Crush the Seed of Ishmael": A "Final Solution" to the "Muslim Problem"
- The State Has No Right To Do Anything

Comments 21 - 29 of 29 Add Comment < Page of 2
VictorJ

Posted: Nov 04 2010, 11:52 PM

137118 I've been AN-CAP my entire adult life, and I've come to the realization that every smart anarchist does in the course of rational thought.
People are mostly good but there are enough bad ones to make any anarchist philosophy completely and utterly insufficient.
Without a body to enforce laws against murder and theft and the like this nation would in short order devolve into something straight out of a mad max movie.
The violent (i/e Strong) would band together to take advantage of the peaceful. (i/e Weak)
For proof I offer Africa, Chechnya, the Balkans, I could go on but the simple fact remains that men are flawed creatures and living in a peaceful, loving, happy happy joy joy world is simply not in our DNA, we are not as a species capable of peace.
If you really think that privately operated police groups working in a market economy will work then you are delusional.
They will be wholly owned by whoever pays them the most, and then they will cease to be police and become PMC's that will be used just like the police are used now, as tax collectors and thugs to keep the populace docile and scared of what will happen if they try to stray from what is deemed "moral" and "normal" by society..
Go look at human history and you will see for yourself how this scenario would play out.
I voted and will continue to vote, it is all I can do to attempt to make a difference.
If I simply refused to vote I would be allowing my enemies a free pass to take more of the freedom that my father caught lead for in vietnam and that my grandfather took shrapnel for in WWII.
I refuse to do that.
I will not piss on the graves of millions of American dead so that I can silently protest this corrupt system.

Posted: Nov 05 2010, 12:37 AM

Well, I don't know what type of anarcho-capitalist you where considering they debunk all those myths thoroughly.

It's because there are bad people we can't create a state which has a total monopoly on violence and force and limitless unchecked powers as judged and regulated by itself.

It's because we don't want the most violent thugs to take over that we don't advocate giving one agency a total monopoly on "protection."

It seems like what you don't realize is everything you're saying you don't want is exactly what we have now, you basically described what embodies a government.

None of those things can be used to describe voluntary businesses nor free market exchange. In the market you make money by serving consumers, not by threatening them with guns, only government makes money that way.

You think people would still buy from Costco if they decided to start sticking up their customers? They'd be boycotted out of existence overnight.

Posted: Nov 05 2010, 12:37 AM

I'd recommend reading this: http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=32288

Posted: Nov 05 2010, 12:55 AM

But Wouldn't Warlords Take Over?: http://mises.org/daily/1855
Black Order

Posted: Nov 26 2010, 1:31 PM

72147 @ Chris,

I find it interesting how, in the comment section under the article titled "Voting Is Even More Worthless Than You Think " by Paul Bonneau at Infowars(a site you obviously contribute to) on Nov. 1st(a day before you posted this piece here, and three days before you posted it there), I made some of the very same points with a wording that has a striking similarity to that in this article.

Too bad the comments section is now closed.

Not that this idea of only managing to legitimize corrupt and coercive government by voting is anything close to being original to me, but you were obviously paying attention to the arguments I made to the 'Info-voters'.

My ego soars! I'm as flattered as I am pleased to see the message spreading, as it wakes people up from their indoctrination induced rationalization stupor.

Continue to fight the good fight, my Libertarian brother!

Peace.

Black Order

Posted: Mar 15 2011, 10:44 PM

658 blah, blah,blah,, bully looked for trouble and found some.
I was bullied as a kid a lot and on 3 occasions I struck back after taking as much as I possibly could, and 3 times these tough bullies, after they healed up from their wounds, wanted to be my best friend.
I am now 53 and still love to see a bully get exactly what they are looking for, Trouble.
Some of you goofs try to turn this political, that is just another word for elite pigs keeping the little guys fighting amongst themselves. It is an illusion so they can rob us blind while we are busy hating each other. Wake up, your neighbor who may not vote the same as you is not your enemy.
MarcelDubois

Posted: Mar 27 2011, 3:09 PM

"I did not vote in this election out of principle, previously I never voted because I just didn't care, the reality is the same regardless. I do not grant the system any authority, nor do I grant the goon-squad government any legitimacy."

Majority rule isn't legitimate by definition. It doesn't matter how many people vote, how many abstain. You can't grant any legitimacy to an illegitimate process. The entire business of liberation happens outside of polling booths. So, I vote all the time and I could not care less about it. The moral fault is with the state.

Posted: Jun 08 2012, 11:00 PM

172218 What a stupid adage!

You CAN sure as hell complain if don't vote. NOT voting in itself is a political vote that says I no longer have faith in the system. That's like telling unions that if they strike then they have no right to complain because they are not participating!

Go look up "Absolute power corrupts..." and the theory holds that anyone who gets into power eventually is corrupted by that environment of influence. The system is screwed up so why would I endorse it by participating in it?

I am forced to pay my damn taxes so I sure as hell have a right to complain. If you pay taxes you have a right to complain. Forget that. By the mere fact that you are a citizen and the government is there to serve you gives you the right to complain.

And one final thing: the only people who have no right to complain are those that voted in the current party in power. Think about that one.

All you people with the misguided creed of "If You Don't Vote, You Can't Complain" should not be allowed to complain because you all just blindly follow the pied piper.

Posted: Jun 09 2012, 1:31 PM

72223 I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'

- Bill Hicks

Super PACs and corporate money have destroyed the election process.

Our elections are nothing more than an Auction going to the highest bidder.

Comments 21 - 29 of 29 < Page of 2