Article posted Jul 04 2007, 5:01 AM Category: Cover-Up/Deceptions Source: Boston.com Print

CIA's darkest secret

By James Carroll

EVERY SO often, the front page trumpets ethical and legal lapses committed by US intelligence agencies. In Iraq, they have run the gamut from pre war falsification of weapons data to surveillance of American citizens to kidnapping to torture of prisoners. During the Cold War, it was "black operations" that included staging coups, assassinating foreign leaders, infiltrating American organizations, conspiring with Mafia groups, spying on journalists -- perhaps even murder.

Last week, the latest paroxysm of revelation announced, as a New York Times headline put it, "CIA Skeleton . . . [A] Catalogue of Wiretaps, Assassination Plots, and Mind Control." But the so called "family jewels" of the CIA's hidden abuses may not enshrine the deepest and darkest secret.

The nefarious activities of the national security apparatus have long been justified by their "realist" defenders as necessary to protect America from her enemies, but what if, instead of protecting the nation, this structure of criminality exists mostly to protect itself? What if this cryptic system's true enemies are not hostile forces from abroad, but America's own fancied traditions of decency and honor? What if the CIA, that is, has not been protecting us, but has been protecting itself from us?

Return to the beginning, which was not 1947, when the CIA was established, but 1953, when it was set loose. Its then-director, Allen Dulles, was the brother of President Eisenhower's secretary of state, John Foster Dulles. Their peculiar ethos -- a combination of personal moralism and public amorality -- stamped the agency. Eisenhower was a calm and lucid man, but his administration was launched in a period of hysteria -- a stalemated army in Korea, an Air Force itching to use nuclear weapons in support of the French in Vietnam or the Chinese in Formosa, a red-scare witch hunt in Washington, communists everywhere.

Ike appointed a secret commission to define the role of intelligence. Its chair, Jimmy Doolittle, the hero who had bombed Tokyo, issued his report in 1954:

"It is now clear that we are facing an implacable enemy whose avowed objective is world domination by whatever means and whatever cost. There are no rules in such a game. Hitherto acceptable norms of human conduct do not apply. If the United States is to survive, longstanding concepts of 'fair play' must be reconsidered. We must develop effective espionage, and counter espionage services, and must learn to subvert, sabotage, and destroy our enemies by more clever, more sophisticated, and more effective methods than those used against us. It may be necessary that the American people be made acquainted with, understand, and support this fundamentally repugnant philosophy."

This vision was immediately embodied in covert initiatives in the Middle East (Iran), Southeast Asia (Vietnam), and Latin America (Guatemala) that haunt the United States to this day. A vast, hidden apparatus was put in place, and a most effective alliance was quickly established with its exact equivalent behind the Iron Curtain. The world of Cold War espionage was commonly called a house of mirrors, but the real mirror imaging was of one side's secret establishment by the other's. The CIA and the KGB, precisely in their "clever . . . sophisticated" combat, sustained the conditions in which both could thrive. Each acted as the avant-garde of a burgeoning military establishment.

But that last Doolittle recommendation was never implemented -- getting the American people to understand and support "this fundamentally repugnant philosophy." Instead, the CIA's culture of secrecy was programmed to hide as much from the US public as from any foreign entity, on the theory that the public would not tolerate unethical and illegal activity. That is why one of the Cold War era abuses revealed last week involved assaults on American journalism -- the absurdly dubbed Operation Mockingbird. (The Times cited a document naming my father, General Joseph Carroll, as one of its perpetrators, but that is another story.)

The irony, of course, is that the CIA, which has almost always been wrong about America's enemies, has been proven wrong, in the end, about the American public. When the national security establishment's most heinous acts are laid bare -- whether through the Church Committee Hearings in the 1970s or in the release of the "family jewels" last week -- the revelations are greeted with a national yawn. The monstrous military establishment, which intelligence crimes protect, is not questioned.

Why are the congressional switchboards not jammed with angry phone calls of dishonored Americans? Except for an ineffectual, if passionate, minority of objectors, the people of the United States handle the knowledge of past and present crimes committed in their name quite nicely, thank you. Ah, but there's the darkest secret of all.

Latest Cover-Up/Deceptions
- Using A Fake Threat To Justify Aggression
- Is THIS Why the Plane Was Shot Down?
- State Dept. Accuses Russia of Firing Artillery Into Ukraine, Refuses to Provide Any Evidence
- FBI Entrapment Created 'Illusion' of Terrorist Plots: Report
- Presstitute Acts Like 9/11 Truthers Are The REAL Enemy! YES Architects & Engineers Should Be FEARED!
- Unedited Video Shows Bundy Making Pro-Black, Pro-Mexican Comments
- Media Buries Bombshell Turkey False Flag Attack
- Here Is The YouTube "Start A False Flag War With Syria" Leaked Recording That Erdogan Wanted Banned

Comments 1 - 20 of 21 Add Comment Page of 2 >
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 6:41 AM

905 As JFK found out and to his peril, the CIA are not only out of control but mad, having tried to instigate a nuclear war against his executive orders. Today, trying to start a revolution inside Iran, kidnapping, raping, torturing and killing people the world over. They have not only become the reality of a phantom enemy, they have usurped it.

When the Enron debacle spilled into the courts, some people wound up prosecuted, some wound up dead. Although exposures have a desensitising effect, the public will accept the truth simply because it is. Whether the public would accept the CIA if the family jewels were really released is another matter.
globalstomp

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 6:51 PM

The history of this country and the world would have been drastically different for the better if we didn't have the CIA. If we kept to the outlines of the constitution concerning non-intervention we wouldn't have all the hatred directed at us the CIA generated since 1947. The family jewels should have been their balls.

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 8:23 PM

206173 MKULTRA
dOeS tHAT mAKE mE cRAZy?
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 8:30 PM

905 I wasn't going to mention it, but when an article first appeared about whether the CIA should be scrapped, I considered the article and posted my views. The article then repeatedly returned a database error. It came back but unlinked to the site.

I don't mention these things, as people are inclined to wonder if you are telling the truth even when you evidence it, and it is a common tactic to assault the messenger, and calling them a conspiracy nut is popular. Regardless, I try to keep an open mind, as they say; 'minds are like parachutes; they work best when open'.

After commenting on the CIA, troll posts are made against me, posts that are personal and intended to illicit a particular reaction. I consider a genuine post would discuss views, not attack the person that made them. I did pause. Whether or not my posts are flawed, they are sincere at the time they are made, though I learn a great deal from the other posts and reflection as part of an ongoing process. I had to consider if I was upsetting people, as I am here to learn and if I can to help with some very serious problems.

I have made some comments that are challenging; sometimes hosts are approached in such circumstances. I use my real name for that reason, I am responsible and accountable for what I say not the host (though I believe in free speech). It would be easy for someone to allege that a post was defamatory, though defamation requires that the comment is untrue.
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 8:46 PM

905 As for MKULTRA, if mind control wasn't effective, there wouldn't be so much importance attached to marketing, subliminal advertising devious and so effective it was at one time banned.

Sanity is easiest to consider in the legal sense, as in whether you are responsible for your actions. The idea behind MKULTRA is that you are not responsible but accountable because you do not know it.

I have thought about the term sanity a lot of late. In these dark times with catastrophe looming, would it be sane if you know what is happening and do not to take part in trying change things for the better?
globalstomp

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 9:07 PM

Chris whats up with your site? I can't access my comments why? someone scanning them or going through them? and I keep getting bumped many times in the past 2 weeks when posting as my log-on expires for some reason in the middle of writing, and the site server sends back an error message and removal of my attempted posts have taken place. Good-bye and good luck it's been fun..I will not be posting any longer while this kind of censorship takes place and it may not be your site doing it but on independence day is a little fucked up. I will not stop writing though so fuck the Bush Cheney dictatorship up the ass with a flag pole for the fourth reich celebration............................................................................................

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 9:13 PM

206173 MKULTRA=BUSH
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 9:51 PM

905 Globalstomp, I don't know the host to know what is happening, but someone is clearly spamming the site and there are interests out there that like to divide people. Sometimes compromises are made with good will, though I have seen the database errors and that could well be a DOS attack. Whatever it is, it is all part of the wider conflict which must be resolved.

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 10:31 PM

Globalstomp, we would never censor anyone, especially not you, that is not our style. The cookie expiring is probably on your side. Did you check remember me? Do you have cookies enabled? I have never run into that problem so I don't know how to fix it.

"View all previous comments" appears to be broken for everyone, I was not aware of this until just now, our host "upgraded" our SQL databases which caused a lot of bugs and we thought we had fixed all of them but apparently some still remain, my brother is currently working on fixing it.

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 10:34 PM

Alright my brother just fixed the view all previous comments bug, it was just a database error.

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 10:38 PM

Our cookies were set to expire every 52 days, we just went ahead and upped it to one year.

Posted: Jul 04 2007, 11:01 PM

David and Globalstomp, if you ever notice an error, please email us or post and tell us how to reproduce it. This site was coded in php/mySQL 100% from scratch by us and our webhost will randomly upgrade our servers which sometimes causes bugs and generally there may be some bugs we are not aware of.

In the 2 years we have been online I have deleted at most 5-10 posts (excluding blatant spam / advertising). About 3 of them were in the franklin cover-up movie because some b*tch was posting links to some forum saying it's completely made up, I deleted her posts because it was complete BS. Other than that I've deleted a few blatant provocateurs posts in which they called for killing politicans etc. One time I edited one of Globalstomp's posts because it could have been interpreted as threating to the prez and I didn't want the secret service misinterpreting it and going and harassing globalstomp, after I did that I personally emailed global and told him why I did it. I have not edited a single one of globalstomp's posts since. The last post I deleted was one of J.P.'s in which he had multi-posted some one liner attacking David, the main reason I deleted it is because he spammed it, again the content is of course bullshit but I let him post it anyways because it shows the psychology of some of the individuals who visit the site.

That is basically it, we've been online for about 2 years and we've had thousands of posts, I don't know what else we can do.
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 05 2007, 7:29 AM

905 The only bug I thought I saw that looked like a programming issue was if you post where the post creates a new page, after posting I think it bounced out of the article. PHP loads the server, a bandwidth attack or increased loading on a site on the same server can produce sql errors, I had one responding to Globalstomp.

I post in different territories elsewhere where I have access to the activity on the sites, and there are orchestrated attacks on the Internet, individuals are targeted, sometimes not just on the Internet. In one personal case I had posted a series of exposures on a UK newspaper discussion board, in view of the sensitivity of the issues I took great care in evidencing the points made. They removed the entire discussion board. An attack was expected and the site routinely archived to evidence this. A spiked journalist from the same newspaper came to visit me afterwards. I am a member of the public, not in public life, so it was rather obvious I had upset the powers that be. It was rather odd, for an hour I was arguing with a journalist in my kitchen. The journalist was telling the same sort of lies that were appearing in their newspaper, I am not by nature combative, for deconstruction I highlighted the lies and offered to evidence them only for the same lies to be repeated with increasing volume.

If I had a comment on the site, it is that I think it is exceptional, not only in design but in the stories it covers and how it is managed. Similar sentiments extend to posters here. There is no such thing as neutrallity in any media outlet, just presenting a story is a prioritisation. The stories here appear as a careful selection of what is important news or important education, that is why I used to read the newspapers, I wanted to know what was happening that affected people and their lives and fill in some blindspots.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
bolly

Posted: Jul 05 2007, 7:47 AM

I applaud your conscientiousness attention and work in these matters DS.
It appears to me that the newspapers in the UK do publish revealing articles concerning revolutionary acts of truth, albeit late or untimely. I think this is largely due to the pressure from internet circulations, and that amongst the circles of journalists, intelligent friends are listened to.
How long before such contributors vanish, I wonder. At the present time those publications reach a large audience and help in resistance, by offsetting the effects of propaganda machines.

However, when I see the dismal slide of the BBC News following government interference, I'm led to believe such publications are due to be watered down and vanish from newspapers. Whatever happens, internet circulations are of prime importance.

David Stanley

Posted: Jul 05 2007, 12:34 PM

905 One of the things that offends people now about the BBC lie, but they now do it so badly. As for the BBC and dissimformation, here is one where, like the CIA they disclosed themselves:
phosphorescent

Posted: Jul 05 2007, 7:43 PM

That the CIA had done these activities is of no surprise to me or anyone else I doubt. What I find most disturbing is that they have named this the 'Family Jewels' .

Have these people no shame? No shred of humanity left in their wretched shell of a heart? Are they proud of their actions? Judging from the article, if they're not proud, they certainly don't come across as being ashamed.

globalstomp

Posted: Jul 05 2007, 9:40 PM

Chris thanks for your attention to this problem and it seems to be working better now and the site responds even better now also. I am sorry if I seem to jump to conclusions but I just didn't think I was that lucky to get bumped so many times right after posting and losing many write-ups that to my frustration wasn't able to recall. I am from this point on copying my posts before I post them so I can repost if I need to. Thanks David also for your attempt at helping but in these days it's not much of a stretch to think you might be censored from the NSA when they re-route all internet through their monitoring servers. Once again thanks and sorry for the mix up.
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 06 2007, 11:24 PM

905 The agencies of state collect so much information now, the Internet will overload them not the other way round. The truth and the search for it has never had such a means or so many voices.

Governments and their agencies are attacking the Internet and by a range of means, but they are somewhat outnumbered here, your voice helps that, welcome back.

Posted: Jul 07 2007, 3:28 AM

7159 I think that the hubris and arrogance, and cruelty of the people of the US is going to bring us to meet our Karma.

It is the end of our nation.

The same way a good family is broken up by the philandering old man who refuses for the rest of his life to accept responsibility; our nation has been dashed on the rocks and murdered; and the people responsible will NEVER EVER ADMIT TO THE WRONGDOING.

And in that hubris lies our demise.

America is lost.

Only honor would bring her back and we have none.
David Stanley

Posted: Jul 07 2007, 1:01 PM

905 I think we all need to accept responsibility for the dark times in which we now live. The more people know, the greater the responsibility though some people do not know enough, or are unaware of how they can peacefully use their freedom to help.

People often think 'what can I do about it'. That is denial like the German people who said they knew nothing while watching the trains that never stopped at the stations. Even Britain knew about the exterminations during the war.

I feel most sorry and sad for all the lives this has and will damage, but when enough people let go of that denial and accept responsibility the war is over.

One way to look at America is perhaps this. It is the Titanic, it is heading straight for an iceberg. The more hands on deck paddling to change course, the more likely the course will change.

"There is no act of treachery or mean-ness of which a political party is not capable; for in politics there is no honour." - Benjamin Disraeli

"Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

"Find yourself by losing yourself for others." - Mohandas Gandhi

"Your true wealth is the good you do in the world." - Mohammed

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." - William James

"The opposite of love is not hate, itís indifference." - Elie Wiesel

"The time is always right to do what is right." - Martin Luther King

"Forget mistakes, forget failure. Never forget your dreams.
When we are no longer afraid do we begin to live." - D.Thompson

"Men are not punished for their sins, but by them." - Elbert Hubbard